Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Eavesdropping

A couple of months ago I met up with my sister for a pizza in town. Sitting at the table adjacent to ours were a couple of college students: a waif-like girl (G) and a boy (B) who couldn't decide whether he was more interested in her or his mountain of pizza slices.

B - Are you sure you don't want some pizza?
G - Nah. I'm on a diet innit.

[B proceeds to maul his buffet meal while G looks on, having ordered nothing.]

B - So what's your favourite meal then?
G - Oh that's a tricky one...hmmm...I don't know.
B - If you had to choose something that was your number one food...
G - Ok.Ok. It's gotta be Filet-o-Fish. Man, that is delicious. In fact, I love Filet-o-Fish.
B - Really? Qasme I think it's rough. Why do you love it?
G - Oh man. I can't explain it. It's different to liking something. Like, you know, I could like a guy cos he has a nice bag but you don't know why you love something. You just do. It just tastes so different.

[Some silent munching ensues]

B - Have you noticed me before?
G - Yeah, in science innit.

No comments: