Saturday, April 01, 2006

Swahili for Beginners

Yale University's Kamusi Project provides a comprehensive beginner's guide to Swahili. My East African heritage probably lends an innate affinity to the language but even an objective outsider has to admit Swahili exudes a certain coolness.

Sijui kama tutaweza kumaliza kazi hii leo lakini tutafanya chini juu.
I don't know whether we'll be able to finish this job today but we'll try our level best.

Rafiki yangu ameanza kufuga ndevu.
My friend has started to grow a beard

Jipe moyo, mtoto atapona.
Take heart, the child will recover.

Alivyokunja uso niliogopa kuzungumza naye.
The way he frowned I was afraid to talk to him.

Nilijaribu kufuga kuku, lakini nimekula hasara - kuku wote walifufa.
I tried to keep chickens but I have suffered a loss - all the chickens died.

Niliota ndoto ya ajabu usiku.
I had a marvellous dream last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

niko piga wewe!

Leo_Africanus said...

Ebu piga dururu!