Sunday, December 11, 2005

Eavesdropping 2

Not really eavesdropping as the conversation involved myself but as there's already an 'Eavesdropping 1' post, why curtail a potentially highly successful and lucrative book deal?

Sat at a restaurant in Manchester's over-hyped self-christened curry mile AKA Wilmslow Road I don't know what overcame me but I decided to order a Chicken Toofan [sic] which had four chillis alongside its name to indicate capsaicin content (inversely proportional to actual flavour). When the chicken blocks smeared with tomato paste and chilli powder arrived, I rapidly realised that a carbonated beverage would be wise. Having ordered the drink I waited and waited whilst emptying the tanker of tap water alongside me.

As the amiable waiter (W) began clearing the table I (LA) made an enquiry:

LA - You forgot the Coke.
W - [Taking slightly longer than normal to compute a simple piece of information eventually breaks into a broad smile] Thank you sir. Thank you very much.

As he tidied away the crockery he stopped before leaving the table and turned,

W - Thank you. Dessert please?
LA - I'll have the bill please.

Lost in translation?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheque please!