Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Terrorist at my Table

An extract from Imtiaz Dharker's collection of poetry and art of the same name.

The right word

Outside the door
lurking in the shadows,
is a terrorist.

Is that the wrong description?
Outside that door,
taking shelter in the shadows,
is a freedom-fighter.

I haven’t got this right.
Outside, waiting in the shadows,
is a hostile militant.

Are words no more
than waving, wavering flags?
Outside your door,
watchful in the shadows,
is a guerrilla warrior.

God help me.
Outside, defying every shadow,
stands a martyr.
I saw his face.

No words can help me now.
Just outside the door,
lost in shadows,
is a child who looks like mine.

One word for you.
Outside my door,
his hand too steady,
his eyes too hard
is a boy who looks like your son, too.

I open the door.
Come in, I say.
Come in and eat with us.

The child steps in
and carefully, at my door,
takes off his shoes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we shouldn't provide terrorists the comfort of our homes..?

Imtiaz Dharker is one of the poets I quite like...I had to immensely study her peom 'Tongue' for my GCSE EngLang, enjoyed it very much!